Getting or staying healthy is not just about working out and what you eat. It’s an entire lifestyle that is always in need of attention and balance. Most people aren’t active enough, where others workout non-stop. Neither is healthy. Most people eat too much, where others don’t eat enough. Neither is healthy. Some people lay around all day, not doing a thing, where others are so busy they have no time for friends or family. Neither is healthy.
Each and every one of us has had days or possibly weeks or months where we’re literally unable to fulfill the goals we have etched in our mind that illustrates our ideal life. But more often than not, excuses start to cloud this picture.
There is always an excuse, a reason, not to do something. Here are a few that we’ve heard from others, or have possibly used ourselves from time to time.
Water: We know it’s good for us. We know our body needs it, yet most of us come up with an excuse not to drink it.
- I don’t like the taste.
- I forgot. (Probably, but make a conscience effort to create the habit of remembering)
- I drank plenty of coffee, or diet soda, or juice instead. (Not the same)
Exercise/Activity: Our body was made to stay active and strongly abides by the motto move it or lose it…but many of us don’t.
- I don’t have the time. (Even very little is better than nothing.)
- My [insert body part here] hurts. (There is always an alternative.)
- I don’t like to workout. (Who says you have to ‘workout’? Just move a little more.)
Nutrition: Junk has no place in our body, but it can be really tasty!
- I’ll start tomorrow. (That was last week, month, year.)
- I don’t have the time to cook. (Take a few minutes once a week to plan. It WILL make a difference.)
- I just can’t give up [fill in the three things you KNOW you shouldn’t eat]. (Really? Surprise yourself. Give it a shot for a few days and see how you do.)
We all need to use the excuse card when it’s necessary. Just don’t let it become a reason not to be healthy. Time goes by fast. Your body is resilient, but after a while it’s not as forgiving.