Ever wonder what functional foods really are? Functional foods include those that form a symbiotic relationship – meaning they work together to make things happen. You get more out of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients by combining certain foods.
Here is a quick list of ten nutrients, and how to make them work harder in your body by combining two foods together!
1) Tomatoes + Olive Oil = increased Vitamin A absorption
- Think caprese salad.
- Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin that plays a big role in good vision.
2) Mushrooms + Ground Turkey = increased Vitamin D absorption
- Think turkey burger w/shrooms.
- Cancer fighter, blood sugar regulator, eczema healer…Vitamin D can do it all.
3) Almonds + Blueberries = increased Vitamin E absorption
- Think yogurt topped w/ berries and almonds.
- Vitamin E has been shown to reduce cholesterol, improve heart health and prevent strokes!
4) Kale + Eggs = increased Vitamin K absorption
- Think an omelet with kale.
- Vitamin K is needed to help us stop bleeding.
5) Chicken Breast + Avocado = increased Vitamin B3 (niacin) absoprtion
- Think chicken tacos with guacamole.
- We can’t breakdown protein, carbs or fats without B3!
6) Salmon + Romaine Lettuce = increased Vitamin B6 + B12 absorption
- Think salmon Caesar salad…homemade dressing, of course!
- B6 is an immune system booster, and B12 is critical in keeping our DNA in check.
7) Seeds (i.e. chia, sunflower, poppy) + yogurt = increased Calcium absorption
- Think homemade yogurt parfait with seeds layered within.
- Bones need calcium, but so do our nerves to talk to one another.
8 ) Chickpeas + Broccoli = increased Iron absorption
- Think hummus + vegetables, particularly broccoli.
- If you need oxygen and energy, you need iron.
9) Cod + Brown Rice = increased Magnesium absorption
- Think baked cod with a side of brown rice.
- You’ll stress less with a good amount of magnesium.
10) Tomatoes + Cottage Cheese = increased Probiotic absorption
- Think chopped tomato with cottage cheese.
- Give you belly the love (and bugs) it needs with probiotics.