I'm a big fan of vinegar. In addition to its nutrition, vinegar can be used for a lot of other things. You can actually use vinegar in your house (in a number of ways), for cleaning, and to help improve your health.
My go-to vinegar for my health is always apple cider vinegar (ACV). But I also have white vinegar for cleaning, especially for laundry. And I also keep a fair share of balsamic in the house for making marinades (like this one I use on chicken kebabs).
Hopefully this post will give your a few ideas for how to use vinegar around your house as a natural remedy of sorts!
Vinegar and Blood Sugar Control
All types of vinegar contain something called acetic acid (I talk more bout this is on Dr. Oz). Acetic acid is special because it helps to better control blood sugar levels. This may not sound like a big deal, but if everyone was in complete control of their blood sugar levels, there would be virtually no type 2 diabetes and much less problematic belly fat.
It's also good to know that despite the fact that vinegar is acid in flavor, it actually alkalizes the body. Generally speaking, our bodies can skew slightly more acidic than what's considered truly healthy. So when we eat foods that can help to bring balance by alkalizing, vinegar included, the healthier we will be.
Other benefits: In addition to balancing blood sugar levels, vinegar has also been shown to have a positive effect on blood pressure and even acid reflux.
- If you're interested in apple cider vinegar for its benefits, then you might enjoy this very simple Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Drink.
- If you're interested in balsamic vinegar for its benefits, then you might enjoy these Grilled Honey and Balsamic Chicken Kebabs.
How to Use Vinegar to Detox
A lot of people love vinegar, especially apple cider vinegar, for its detoxifying effects. It's true that vinegar can help you balance you health and get rid of toxins, but all you really need do to reap the benefits is incorporate it in your diet regularly - however you'd like.
In addition to the recipes above, you can also take a shot of vinegar first thing in the morning with a glass of lukewarm or warm water. You never want to drink cold water first thing in the morning as the cold will constrict your colon, making it hard to eliminate toxins. Warmer water helps to move things through and relax the colon.
How about a Detox Salad? I made this one day after the New Year to start things off right. I love it as it contains all the ingredients that help to rid the body of toxins, including apple cider vinegar.
Enjoy these recipes, eat healthy and love your vinegar. By the way, here are a few other useful ways to use vinegar.
1. Clean hard wood/no wax floors: 1 c of white distilled vinegar with 1 gallon of warm water.
2. Carpet stain removal: Mix 1 part cold water with 1 part white distilled vinegar and generously soak affected area. Blot area.
3. Clean coffee cup stains: Soak the cup(s) in white distilled vinegar for several hours, then clean as usual.
4. Get hard-boiled eggs to peel faster: Boil eggs in water with a couple tablespoons of white distilled vinegar.
5. Make rice fluffier. Add 1-2 tbsp of white distilled vinegar to boiling water before adding rice.
6. Exfoliate dry skin: Dab a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar to help remove dead skin cells.
7. Get shiny hair and a flake-free scalp: 1/4 c apple cider vinegar to 1 quart warm water.
8. Get rid of hiccups: Mix 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water.
9. Kill weeds: Spray white distilled vinegar on directly on weeds. Do not dilute with water.
10. Extend Fresh Cut Flower Life: Add 2 tbsp vinegar and 1 tsp sugar per quart of water flowers sit in.
Yes, there are oodles of other uses for vinegar, but this is a good start. Let me know if you've got any handy homespun recipes. I'd love to share them!