There's never really a bad time to focus on tightening up the old backside, is there? Our gluteus maximus is a really big muscle, and to make it work and look it's best, it needs the cooperation of a few smaller muscles in the vicinity. Give one or all of these exercises a shot to tighten and tone all the muscles the will get our rear in gear.
Don't worry, you won't look creepy doing these. In addition to working the glutes, this exercise also works the adductors and abductors (inner and outer thighs). Repeat the sequence below 5 to 10 times on each leg.
- Start standing with your feet hip-width apart, abs drawn in. Pull your right knee up toward your chest (as if you're marching), back straight and heel falling just below your knee. Hold for 5 seconds.
- Cross your right knee across your left leg without rotating your hips. Hold for 5 seconds.
- Now move your leg in the opposite direction, opening up to the right side. Hold for 5 seconds.
Side lunges are just like a traditional lunge, just (you guessed it) out to the side. I like this exercise for two reasons: 1) it takes us out of the "linear" mode we're in all day, and 2) it creates more mobility through the hips - something those of us with tight hips need! This exercises works the glutes all over. Repeat 3 sets of the exercise below 20 - 25 on each leg (or alternating up to 50).
- Start standing with your feet about hip-width apart, hands at your hips and abs drawn in.
- Step out to the right, keeping your left foot planted. Keep your weight on your heels.
- Drop down until your right thigh is as parallel to the ground as possible. Remember to keep your left foot planted.
- Push off and come back to the starting position. Open up to your left side, repeat above.
Single Leg Supine Bridge
Some variation of Supine Bridge makes it way onto my blog often because it's that great of an exercise. Repeat 3 sets of the exercise below 15 times on each leg.
- Begin by lying flat on your back with your knees bent and feet on the ground about hip-width apart.
- Place your right foot on the floor and cross your left foot over your right knee.
- Squeezing through your bottom, push up. Drop back to the ground and repeat. Tip: Draw you belly button into your spine and hold.