February is heart health month, and for the 29 days of February, I’m running a contest that will motivate and move you to being fitter, stronger and healthier.
How does it work? Simple.
1) Every morning I will post this question on Facebook: What did you do yesterday that made you healthier today?
- Bernie Salazar, Biggest Loser At-home Winner Season 5
- Angela Park, USA Triathlon Coach
- Beth Aldrich, Author of Real Moms Love to Eat: How to conduct a love affair with food, lose weight and feel fabulous
- Tami Conway, owner of The Dailey Method (Chicago)
- Carly Flaws, TDM follower, fitness junkie and all-around healthy woman
- Posts that motivate and inspire (get us off our butts if we’re having a day that’s dragging).
- Originality of healthy initiative (a 5-minute walk every day is great, but won’t score huge points if that’s the only thing you ever post). Try something new and tell us about it!
- Sincerity means a lot. This is all about getting healthy. You don’t have to be an open book, but let’s help support one-another. If you’re fitness or nutrition savvy – offer some advice. If you’ve got a question, what better forum to ask? I know I’m all ears!
Oh yeah! What fun would a contest be without any prizes? At the end of the month, the judges will face the daunting challenge of selecting nine (9) runners up and one (1) overall winner. Our amazing sponsors include: Running Away Multisport , SPARK Multisport Coaching, MARK BAR™, The Dailey Method®, Beth Aldrich, and Thermos®.
One lucky winner gets this dandy bag of goodies – everything a motivated body needs!
- Polar Heart Rate Monitor from Running Away Multisport (RAM)
- Mizuno Running Gloves and RAM Running Cap
- One month online personal training by SPARK
- i-Pod Nano
- $50 iTunes Gift Card
- Real Moms Love to Eat Book
- The Dailey Method DVD
- Under Armor Performance Water Bottles by Thermos
- The MARK BAR: A stash of the latest and greatest pre-workout nutrition bars
Nine runners up are also recognized for their help in motivating other by receiving the following:
Nope. You don’t have to. You can post as often as you’d like. But the more often you post, the more you’ll motivate others and inspire someone to do something, possibly what you just did, that could change their life! Try to post something most days of the week.
- Workout 10 minutes more
- Take a longer walk with your dog
- Choose a baked sweet potato over french fries
- Try a new class, like yoga, Zumba or Spinning
- Take 5 minutes for yourself to do nothing but breathe deeply
- Throw out a bag of potato chips
- Toss any leftover holiday candy/don’t buy any new Valentine’s Day candy
- Say “no” to someone who asks for one too many favors
- Turn off the TV and call someone who you’ve been thinking about
- Eat breakfast (if you don’t)
- Eat less (if you eat too much)
- Involve your kids, grand kids, nieces or nephews in on making a healthy meal
- Eat carrots with hummus instead of ranch dressing
- Go onto YouTube and find something that makes you laugh…then laugh at it!
- …the ways you can make your life healthier, stronger and less stressful are endless.
Is this just a silly contest, or is there any real value to it?
Every little bit counts. Heart disease is the leading cause of death among men, and is taking the lives of more and more women each and every minute. Did you know…
- Heart disease is the third leading cause of death among women 25 – 44.
- Heart disease is the second leading cause of death among women 45 – 64.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death among women 65+.
The greatest thing about this contest is that YOU will help to motivate other people who are looking for inspiration. Join my Facebook or Twitter community today. Don’t feel like being that social? Go ahead and post after this blog post (contest begins 2/1, no need to start posting now). Everyone involved is excited to hear from you – especially me! Thank you!Stop by to check out our sponsor and judges’ bio page! What can I say? They’re all great!