Looking for a way to tone your legs? Here are five exercises that will shape up your legs in just a few weeks. From start to finish, this workout should take you right around 30 minutes. Throw in 20 minutes of interval cardio, and you’ve got the perfect workout.
Do the exercises in this order, moving from largest to smallest muscles.
1) Bodyweight Lunges: a great way to warm up the legs and loosen up the hip. Do continuous alternating lunges for 2 to 3 minutes (no additional weight needed)
2) Squats: using dumbbells or a barbell (total weight between 10 – 30 pounds), bring your legs hip width apart, push your tush back and squat. Your bottom is the biggest muscle, so after a warm up it’s good place to start. Do three sets of 15 – 18 reps.
3) Plie Squat: Think ballet, walk your feet out just past hip-width, point your toes out slightly, then drop your bottom down holding a dumbbell in between your legs. Squeeze your bottom on the way down, and keep your abs tight the whole time. You’re working the inner and outer thighs. Do three sets of 15 – 18 reps.
4) Bridge Pose: Lie flat on your back, bend your knees and walk your heels toward your bottom. Push your hips up as high as you can. You’re working the back of the legs (hamstrings) and tush. HOLD for 30 – 60 seconds.
5) Calf Raises: Stand with the balls of your feet on a stair (heels hanging over). Push up onto your tip toes, then drop your heels down. Your calves house a smaller group of muscles, so this will burn faster. Work it, baby! Repeat non-stop for 30 reps, 3 sets.
Make sure to stretch and drink plenty of water afterward!
Want more tips like this? Traci D Mitchell is a healthy living and fitness expert. Follow Traci on Facebook. She’d love to see you there! Interested in working with Traci? She works privately with clients specializes in nutrition coaching and weight loss as well as functional fitness and personal training. All sessions are done via Skype or telephone if outside of Chicago. For more information, contact Traci here.
Looking for a simple way to get into great shape and eat right? Try Traci’s 40-Day Shape Up!